We’re excited to announce the Daily Wildcat Innovation in Media campaign. This is a 3-year campaign with a goal to raise $250,000 for the Daily Wildcat. These funds are essential as we continue to innovate and transition into new media models that best serve our readers, our advertisers and our student workers. Please join other Wildcat alumni and friends in supporting this effort by joining our Wildcat Innovators Circle. For information on the campaign, click here. For donation information here. You can also read Director of Student Media Mark Woodhams’ campaign letter.
Eleven Daily Wildcat alumni will be inducted into the Wildcat Alumni Hall of Fame early next year. Join other Wildcat alumni and friends in celebrating the achievements of this distinguished group on Jan. 25 at the University Marriott in Tucson. View banquet details and how to order your tickets.
After 28 years of overseeing the production of more than 4,000 Wildcats, Fred Smith is retiring August 4, 2011. Here’s the commemorative (and not entirely factual) Wildcat “front page” staff and former students produced for him. Any memories you’d like to share? Please comment!
Nearly 100 Daily Wildcat staff turned out for our annual awards banquet on May 4, held once again on the lovely patio at Old Pueblo Grille. Staff were honored for year-long achievement in such areas as reporting, sales, customer service, graphic design, photography, illustrations, copy editing, multimedia and much more. This year we added the Wildcat Impact Award “for innovation and enterprise”, which was won by students in 3 different areas of the operation. From the newsroom, Colin Darland earned an Impact award for his redesign of the online paper; from advertising, Daniela Saylor was honored for her success coaching and training peers in sales; and from production, Lindsey Cook was recognized for stepping up as senior production coordinator and revamping several kep production processes.
Winning the signature advertising award – The George Morley Award for Achievement – was Jasmin Bell, a 3-year veteran of our classifieds advertising office. The Clyde Lowery Award for Professionalism and Integrity, the newsroom’s major honor, was won by Heather Price-Wright, another multi-year veteran who served as opinions editor and copy chief.
A number of graduating seniors were honored for their service to the paper with a Daily Wildcat Alumni Award. On hand to present these awards on behalf of all Wildcat alumni were former EIC Alex Dalenberg and former photo editor Lisa Beth Earle. Winners are (including major positions held):
- Jessica Leftault, Design Chief, Managing Editor
- Mike Christy, Photographer, Photo Editor
- Bethany Barnes, Reporter, Asst News Editor
- Tim Kosch, Sports Editor
- Ken Contrata, Copy Chief, Managing Editor
- Heather Price-Wright, Opinions Editor, Copy Chief
- Bryan Roy, Online Editor, Sports Writer
- Brandon Specktor, Arts Editor
- Christine Bryant, Graphic Designer
- Sarah Dalton, Sales Coordinator, Advertising Rep
- Grego Moore, Advertising Rep
- Daniela Saylor, Advertising Rep
- Jasmin Bell, Classified Advertising
More than 150 Daily Wildcat alumni and friends gathered at the University Marriott in Tucson on March 26 to induct 13 alumni into the paper’s Hall of Fame and recognize the achievements of 10 young alumni.
It was the 5th induction of a Hall of Fame class and the second ceremony honoring young alumni achievers. The event featured a reception, dinner and presentation program. Jeffrey L. Sklar, editor in chief of the Wildcat in 2002 and 2003, assisted in presenting the young alumni awards. James W. Johnson, professor emeritus of journalism and a member of the Hall of Fame’s 2003 class, introduced the newest Hall of Famers.
Eight decades of Wildcat alumni and staff were represented, from the 1940s to 2010s, demonstrating again the Wildcat’s powerful legacy and impact.
Click here for a pdf of the Hall of Fame program.
Click here for a selection of photos from the dinner and reunion.
From marketing and PR pros to awarding winning journalists to an Iraqi war veteran and author, the 2011 Daily Wildcat Young Alumni Award winners represent high achieving accomplishments. They will be honored at the Wildcat Alumni Hall of Fame banquet and reunion on March 26 in Tucson.
- Michael Barber, a digital marketing strategist who was a Wildcat account exec
- Dave Cieslak, founder of Scutari and Cieslak PR (and former daily newspaper reporter) who was Wildcat editor in chief
- Jennifer Duffy, PR manager for the Loews golf resorts in Tucson and Las Vegas who was a Wildcat managing editor
- Ryan Gabrielson, a 2009 Pulitzer Prize winner who was a reporter on the Wildcat
- Djamila Grossman, photographer for the Salt Lake City Tribune and a Wildcat reporter and photographer
- Luke Larson, a Marine veteran of 2 tours in Iraq and author of “The Senator’s Son” who was Wildcat sales manager
- Nate Olivarez-Giles, a reporter with the LA Times and a Wildcat reporter and photo editor
- Nicole Santa Cruz, also a reporter for the LA Times and Wildcat editor in chief
- Daniel Scarpinato, communications director for the Arizona legislature (majority) and a Wildcat editor in chief
- Maxx Wolfson, field editor for Getty Images and a Wildcat sports editor
The Daily Wildcat Young Alumni Award was established in 2008 to recognize outstanding young alumni who have been out of school within the past 10 years. It is presented every two to three years in conjunction with the Daily Wildcat Hall of Fame.
The 2011 Hall of Fame nominees, announced earlier, can be found here.
A group of about 20 journalism alumni, many celebrating their 50th (or thereabouts) class reunion, dropped by the Wildcat newsroom on Homecoming day Oct. 23. These alums all worked on the Wildcat, the Desert yearbook or Kitty Kat humor magazine when they were in school. They toured the Wildcat offices and met with editor in chief Colin Darland, sports editor Tim Kosch and news editor Michelle Monroe.
Among the alumni who attended were Jon Alquist, Betsy Bolding, Joe and Marianne Cole, Bob and Jo Anne Crawford, Rosalie Robles Crow, Tom Dau, Gordon Evans, Vincent Flynn and Sydney Wade Flynn, Bob Goldfarb, Jan Harelson, Jim Johnson, Mary Alice Kellogg, Shirley Kirts Link, Dick Moe and Jim and Odetta Price.
Congratulations to the newest inductees to the Daily Wildcat Hall of Fame. You can read more about them here. Join us for the Daily Wildcat Alumni Hall of Fame and Young Alumni Awards dinner March 26th to celebrate!
- Robert Crawford
- Olaf Frandsen
- Paul Giblin
- Chris Halligan
- Rod Howard
- Mary Alice Kellogg
- Morgan Loew
- Sheila McNulty
- Jay M. Parker
- Todd Pletcher
- Terry Valeski
- Margo Warren
- Merrill Windsor (deceased)