WILDCAT NAMED PACEMAKER FINALIST
Both the print Daily Wildcat and the online dailywildcat.com have been named finalists for the prestigious Pacemaker award to be announced at the national college media convention in Orlando this fall. The winner will be picked from 10 finalists. The Pacemaker, presented by the Associated Collegiate Press, recognizes outstanding achievement in college media.
The Wildcat was last named a finalist for both print and online editions in 2007 (though ultimately not a winner in either). The only time the Wildcat swept into the winner’s circle for both awards was in 1998.
“Gutsiest” College Paper
You’ve got to like this random award for the Wildcat – named one of the 5 “gutsiest” college papers in the country by Mother Jones magazine in its September issue.
9/11 Commemorative Wrap Gets Kudos
Like most news outlets, the Daily Wildcat issued a commemorative edition for the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. The Wildcat’s project was in the form of a 4-page “wrap” around the regular Friday, Sept. 9 edition. The commemorative cover was high-fived around the country for its simplicity and elegance and was picked up on many design and news sites. Here’s a look at it from Charles Apple’s blog at copydesk.org.
Arizona Daily Wildcat staffers earned 7 regional Mark of Excellence Awards at the Society of Professional Journalists convention in San Diego this spring, including 5 first place winners. One first place winner – for multimedia sports reporting – was later announced as a national finalist.
The winners are:
- 1st place multi media sports reporting – Colin Darland/Lance Madden
- 1st place editorial writing – Heather Price-Wright
- 1st place news photography—Mike Christy
- 1st place sports column writing – Kevin Zimmerman
- 1st place general column writing – Kristina Bui
- 2nd place news photography – Lisa Beth Earle
- 3rd place best all around college daily – Arizona Daily Wildcat
In other competition this spring, the Daily Wildcat won “best of show” at the Associated Collegiate Press’ national newspaper convention in February, and the dailywildcat.com was named a Pacemaker finalist, also by the ACP.
The Arizona Daily Wildcat and dailywildcat.com carry on the tradition of excellence:
- WINNER, Best of Show, newspaper website – Associated Collegiate Press College Newspaper Convention, Phoenix, February 2010
- WINNER, Best of Show, daily college newspaper – College Media Advisers, National Convention, New York City, March 2010
The Wildcat also won 5 awards at the College Newspaper Business & Advertising Managers National Convention in Los Angeles, March 2010:
- First Place, Best Color Ad
- First Place, Best Classifieds Section
- First Place, Best Online Display Ad
- Second Place, Best Ad Campaign
- Third Place, Best Newspaper Promotion